Saturday, July 02, 2005

Circular No 191




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 2 of July 2005. Circular No. 191

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

This Circular is going to start with the information on two Venezuelan oldboys that I have met, talked or communicated with during the past year.
Those that would like to update their information for the sake of accuracy please send me the latest information.
From now on I shall include those that I know but have not written a resume:
I shall make their resume to the best of my knowledge, I hope that I do not make a mistake.
I would like those that know me here in Venezuela to send in a short recount of their post Mount lives.
Some of them I only know by telephone, but others I met and even for some I have photos.
I am sorry that I do not have photos of all of them but maybe now that I am going to acquire a Cellphone with a camera, who knows, the type of photos I may come up with. watch out John Gioannetti.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
So for the first one here is news on Juan Carlos Golik.
He lives in the State of Merida to the South West of Caracas, in the Venezuelan Andes, near the capital of that State, Merida.
He has a Web page describing the beautiful scenery of his resort houses.
I have included a couple of photos of the housing complex.
I recommend you to look into the Web page as the propaganda has photos and pictures, difficult to reproduce in this Newsletter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
From : "juan carlos"
Date : Sat, 20 Jul

buenas noches ladislao
lamento como te dije por tefls. no poder darte información sobre mi breve estadía en mount.
En estos momentos estoy en valencia y el lunes estaré en Caracas.
Voy a llamar a Farcheg a ver si nos podemos encontrar en algún lugar y conversar. Estaré en 0414-374-1277
gracias
juan carlos golik

Good night Ladislao,
I am sorry as I said to you by tefls. I am unable to give you information on my brief stay in Mount.
At the moment I am in Valencia and Monday I will be in Caracas.
I am going to call to Farcheg to see if we can find a place and talk.
I will be in 0414-374-1277 thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------.
This is the venture that Carlos has going in the Andes.

"A single photo is worth a thousand words"
Just off the Transandina Road, and only 30 minutes (19 miles) from the heart of Mérida is a setting of majestic tranquility where solid, high quality American style wood cabins join in harmony with the majesty of the Andes.
Re-new and refresh your life. Draw from the tranquil power of our Andes Mountains Paradise.
We offer:
5 Cabins (aprox. 950 sq. feet) for 6 people.
1 Cabin (aprox. 575 sq. feet) for 4 people.
2 small Cabins -studio design (aprox. 290 sq. feet) for 2 people.
Price includes Breakfast and evening Dinner meals-"Comida Casera"- (The same good food as served to the owners)
Recreation Room-ideal for meetings, reading, games (billiards) Direct TV (including premium channels). Bar-B-Q. Swimming pool with natural mountain water from the Paramo. Many Green Areas. Children's Play Park. Excursions to the lagoons, rappel, parapet, etc. And, if you like, "draw" your breakfast milk direct from our prize Holstein milk cows. This beautiful mountain retreat is attended by the owners: Giusi and Juan Carlos. We speak English, Spanish and Italian.
CAMPING IN JULY, AUGUST AND SEPTEMBER
Visit our Photo Album http://www.andesholidays.com/micata/index.html
We like to establish personal communications. Please include your telephone number in your email
E-MAIL: cabanasmicata@hotmail.com
cabanasmicata@cantv.net

Carretera Trasandina. Finca Sky Way
Telefax: 58 (274) 808-1502
(0274) 416-0264 (Telcel Fijo)
Celular: 0414-974-1277 - 0416-474-1046
0414-374-1277

(Carlos, I tried to call you but no contact, please return call. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am going to start with my Dentist.
His name is Wbladimiro Diaz, who left Mount in 1973 when the school was closed for boarders. He was in Form III at that time.
He managed to get his Venezuelan High School diploma? at Nuestra Señora de Lourdes in Puerto La Cruz after having to go through the official regulations, spent one year at the Universidad Javeriana in Bogota 1977 and then went to the Universidad of Los Andes for his dentistry degree, graduating in 1986.
Sport Karate do 6th Kyo, archievement: Green red belt.
He spent 16 years in practice with his tutor, Dr. Nelson Canache a famous Dentist here in Venezuela.
I know this story because before I let him look into my mouth. I had him show me his credentials.
His wife Walkiria, and has two daughters, Katherin 10, Ana Patricia 5.
Lives a pleasant leisure life in Puerto La Cruz, although no yacht as yet.
Sport: Having misplaced his green red belt, he took up Aikido for a replacement belt, and has achieved: 6th kyu, although he did not tell me if it comes with a belt
Sometimes he is available for a dinner or two.

You may call him at: Home: 0281 808.0308
Or in a dental emergency at. 0416 684.3967
---------------------------------------------------------------------

PART II, The Refectory, dinner time, by yours truly, the editor.

Now back to my story: Part I was sent out in Circular No. 189.
In those days (from 1955? to 1957 when it was moved next to the bakery) the refectory was in an old wooden building near the main church.
This two-storey building had the kitchen below our eating hall, its level was the same as the church’s parking lot.
We eat in the second floor, which was on the same level as the old church bells and the meteorological station.
Inside the Refectory there was a centre corridor with tables on each side, its floor was wooden planks.
The prefect sat at the wall end of the table and four kids sat on either side of the table.
The 13 tables were set before we arrived.
On each table there were two metal inox jars, one with cocoa and the other with water.
Also there were two bread baskets inox, both with monastery made bread, the bakery was located where today is the loan office of Fr. Cuthbert, one with white square bread sliced in about 12 pieces (generously thick), the other also had square dark bread that sometimes felt like having saw dust.
The water glasses were of glass and we had cups for the cocoa with an accompanying sauce.
The china ware was white and had a thin line maroon line and the symbol of the school.
The eating instruments were inox also.
The table was covered with a plastic mantel.
We sat on a wooden bench that ran the length of the table on either side.
The food was placed in bowls inox and usually consisted of the following :
1st dish: Rice, Potatoes.
2nddish:Vegetables Carrots, beans
3rddish: Meat or fish
4th dish had fruit.

There was brown sugar, salt and butter, sometimes cheese that we deemed to be inedible and taken from a sunken ship, as we said.
A small group of Brothers helped to keep the tables with food, when these ran out.
There was an elevator in the middle that brought up the food from the kitchen when there was additional need, of course the good stuff ran out quickly.
This elevator ran on man power using a thick rope.
The prefect’s pets sat to his left and right and the youngest or less popular kids sat next to the corridor, the furthest position from the prefect, they were the last to get food if any was left!.
This is where I sat during a couple months. First, because I was new and second because I did not know English, the third there was an empty place at the table.
My arrival was not welcomed as the food had to be rationed from 8 portions until then, to a new comer, No.9.
All the kids at the table tried to teach me the name of the edibles but without luck.
So next the prefect tried the rough way, he told Wayne Vincent Brown to get English out of me or there was no food.
I got bounced about but English was not easy.
Finally I got upset and decided call WVB “Topo” which is not offensive in Spanish but for those that only knew English found it puzzling and annoying.
It worked because when WVB got rough, I called out.
The end of this episode I cannot remember but I did not die of hunger and was not hurt except for my pride!!.
They got tired I presume or I began to assimilate English.

While we eat in silence the Priest´s refectory was replenished with an open cart that took the plates from the elevator to the hall that was next to ours, we envied what we saw.
I presume that the kitchen had to serve us first and then the Priests.
This always caused lots of comments and there were many an effort to steal some of the edibles.

For dinner we would leave the study hall in the evening at about 6:00 pm.
When we reached the door of the refectory we had to wait until the priest in charge arrived and once these were opened and we had to walk slowly down the corridor to our table.
We had to wait standing until we said prayer and sat down.
The Prefect had first choice of each plate of food that was passed down; and he had to make sure that everybody got part of the dish that was passed.
There was no authorization to talk, one, because the fight for food would have been loud and second because some kids would only talk and not eat, third, we were next to the priest refectory and there was always a lecture being read while the priest eat.

Wait for PART III

(Forgive my English, it never was good enough for Fr. Bernard. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: salon_estilo vaca, 7, 2004 wbladimiro diaz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use kaviacion@cantv.net or kertesz11@yahoo.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: