Saturday, July 16, 2005

Circular No 193




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Caracas, 16 July 2005. Circular No. 193
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

I have been told that some Circulars are missing, can you confirm this information???
This Circular is a continuation to the one sent No. 187.
Glad that Csaba has been a good writer, only need photos in .jpg to make the Circular complete.
So here are the missing emails and at the end, his last email recently received.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 12:40 PM

Dear Ladislao,
Sorry for the delay on this.
Please find below the corresponding names to the faces (i.e. the ones I know).
As far as the others go, I'm sending a copy of this to Urbano de Fedak, Azier Atela and Ricardo Figuera, who'll surely be able to complete the picture.

1. (.?) Hopkins (from Tunapuna, was not a boarder.
2. Maillard Howell (called "Bullet" fastest sprinter at that time)
3. Luciano Savorgnan
4. (..?) Gomes
5.
6. Timothy Mew
7. Urbano de Fedak
8.
9. Azier Atela
10. Terence Viera
11. Robert "Skully" Bodington
12. Isaias Farcheg
14. Maroth de Marothy
15. Norman Gabriel
16. Geoffrey Xavier
17.
18. (..?) Bishop
19. Ricardo Figuera
20.
21. Roberto Lipavsky

Un abrazo
Csaba

(don't be too sure that your classmates have a good memory. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Csaba,
I am glad that you have been able to correspond with your friends.
I would like you to help me with the class photo, please place names on the faces.
Also send me photos if you still keep any for the bunch.
How about the scouting days. Badges??
I hope we can keep on going thru 2004.
Have a prosperous and healthy new year.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
Sent: Tuesday, February 3, 2004 11:04 AM

Dear Ladislao,
We'd be very glad to establish contact with your son Jozsef.
Please tell him to call us at any time. (Tel 96 117 5109).
As far as my "Mount -Record" is concerned, I first wrote Cambridge School Certificate in 1956 and got a 2nd Grade; then, in December 1957, I wrote it again and got a 1st Grade.
Thereafter I studied at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and graduated with a B.Sc. with concentration in Physics and Chemistry in 1963.
Thereafter, went for postgraduate studies to the University of Windsor, in Ontario, where I got the Diploma in Management, i.e. the 1st year of the MBA Programme.
With the help of your excellent service, I've just established contact with Ian de Verteuil (better known at Mount as "Bage") whom I hadn't seen for the about 39 years; he had also been to Saint Mary's University and we had been roommates for 2 years there.
Un abrazo
Csaba
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Csaba
I have asked my son Jozsef to contact you; he is in Valencia and is a teacher at the Direct English language school.
Ok, the names shall be recorded and hope someone would fill in the blanks.
I presume that the picture was taken in 1958 of the Form V class?
There has been a doubt as if you graduated in 1957?
I have the 1959 and 1960 class photos so help.
Do you have photos? or memorabilia?
No one wants to write on Fr. Ildefonse.
Who was Fr. Leo??
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
Sent: Monday, February 9, 2004 1:28 PM
Subject: Class 1958 in 1955 maybe

Ladislao,

P.S. Nr. 9 looks like Gerhard Most. send it to him to see if he can recognise the rest of the bunch.

Un abrazo

Csaba
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ladislao

On this picture I can only recognise some of the participants and they are the following:

1. Christian Goddard
2. Father Agustin OSB
6. ('?) Iwaszkiewicz
13. Juan Marini
14. (') Gomes
20. ( ') Hutton (the yougest one of the 3 Huttons at MSB
21. Pablo Figuera
23. Michael Golding
27. '''looks like Michael Herretra, but I am not sure
28. Geoffrey Ames

Your best bet would be to send the picture to Pablo Figuera or Christian Goddard .
They should be able to identify all the ones present.
Un abrazo
Csaba

(No luck on their memory. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Csaba

Here is another one for you!
To tease your memory and eyes.
Sorry but the photo was scanned at a lower level than I use.
Maybe I can get it resent in the future.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Csaba Jakobszen"
Subject: Your Circular No. 187 of June 24, 2005
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:37:04 +0200

Hello Ladislao,
In a way you are dead right, I did partially catch the contagious laziness of Spain and consequently failed to send you any contribution to your great Circulars which keep so many old MSB boys informed of each other, their whereabouts and activities.

On the other hand, I do have a small (hopefully acceptable) excuse, that I had, during the entire course of last year, a health "nuisance" consisting of a damaged meniscus on the left knee which has, thank God, been successfully solved by an operation in September and a posterior treatment consisting of 10 injections.

Ever since June of last year, I am officially retired, so that I have all the bureaucratic activity which the German authorities require, finally behind me.

In order not to keep ticking the little grey matter which I still have left, I subscribed last September to a language course of Valenciano which I attend twice a week. (Valenciano is the local language of the State of Valencia and it is getting to be more important every day. It is pretty similar to Catalan but not the same. Catalan, Balear and Valenciano are of the same "family" and origin; they belong to the Oxitan Group).

As far as pictures go, I am attaching a not-so-recent family picture taken at my daughter's wedding 3 years ago where (on the left side) my wife and I and my two sons can be seen and then my daughter with her husband and his family.

Right now, we are getting ready for my oldest son's wedding (who stands between my daughter and my wife on this picture) who will be getting married in Budapest, Hungary on September 24th.

I am very happy to let you know that thanks to your Circulars and the MSB webpage I could successfully re-establish good old MSB friendships and just recently, (June 7th- to July 13th) my wife and I made a North American round trip during which we've spent many most enjoyable days with David Ames and his lovely wife in North Carolina as well as with Donald Goddard and his charming wife in Baton Rouge and New Orleans and Christian Goddard and his son in Houston.

We have almost been able to meet Ian de Verteuil with whom I've had a very long and enjoyable telephone conversation and with a little bit of more luck we also would have met Maroth de Marothy in New Bern, North Carolina.

Besides that I am in constant e-mail touch with Urbano de Fedak, Azier Atela, Ricardo Figuera, Pablo Kecskemeti etc., and if all goes well we intend to fly over to Caracas next year to see them personally.

Well, that's all for now and thanks once more for your lasting perseverance to keep this open line of friendship open between all those who share such unforgettable remembrances of the MSB days.
Regards to all
Csaba
----------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK ANY U.S. BANK to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: wedding, photo class 1958
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use kaviacion@cantv.net or kertesz11@yahoo.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

No comments: