Thursday, June 23, 2005

Circular No 190



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Caracas, 23 of June 2005. Circular No. 190
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here I am enclosing communication from Peter Gittens, who is in Louisiana.
Maybe Salvador can contact him personally, Telf. (504)398-2142.
Also it would be nice for him to have a call from Deacon Lionel Roberts who is in St. Petersburg Fla.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Gittens, Peter W."
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:14:09 -0600

Dear Ladislao,
Sorry about the delay in replying to your e-mail.
The last few days were very hectic and disruptive with a lot of travel to other cites, which caused me to neglect e-mail correspondence.
My exit year from the Abbey School was 1961.
It seems so long ago, that I have forgotten a lot of the people I was in class with.
Unfortunately, I have not kept in touch with any one.
When he was alive, I would run into ERNEST CASTILLO in Toronto, and now and then some one would mention the name of Robert Elias, and his music.
I was in class with ROBERT ELIAS.
I may have some old black and white pictures at my house in London, Ontario.
When next I am in Canada I will rummage through them so see what I can find, and will certainly scan file them to you.
Meanwhile, thanks for the Circulars.
Sincerely,
Peter Gittens

(It would be nice to have Robert Elias, E-mail address. Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Gittens, Peter W."
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:49:11 -0600

Greetings, fellow alumni of the Abbey School:
I attended the Abbey School from 1956-1961.
I was one of the (junior) seminarians.
I did not become a priest, but I was ordained a permanent deacon in 1984.
From 1970 to 2001 I worked in Canada in Catholic Education both in the Hamilton and
Guelph areas.
I retired in 2001 and moved to warn and spicy Louisiana, only to become busier than in my previous life in Ontario.
Today I live in Harvey, Louisiana (a suburb of New Orleans), and work full-time as an associate professor of Philosophy and Theology at Our Lady of Holy Cross College in New Orleans, Louisiana.
I also teach Philosophy at the local Seminary (Notre Dame Seminary) in New Orleans.
It was good to view the photos on the web pages, rekindling many fond memories of some of our "beloved" Benedictine teachers.
Sincere best wishes to all,
Peter Gittens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Peter Gittens"
Date: 17 Jul 22:43 (PDT)
Subject:Fr. Ildefonse

Ladislao,
Greetings! Here is a photograph of Fr. Ildefonse.
Sincerely,
Peter Gittens

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Peter Gittens"
Date: 28 Jul 14:45 (PDT)

Dear Ladislao,
This picture of Fr. Ildefonse was taken in front of the Seminary.
You may recall that Fr. Ildefonse was the rector of the Seminry, as well the Scout Master, and teacher of Latin, Geography, History, and Woodworking.
After the new Seminary was opened in 1961, Fr. Ildefonse got a Lambretta scooter as his means of transportation from the Seminary to the Abbey School and to the Monastery.
In this picture he is learning to ride his new motor bike.
This picture was taken either in 1961 or 1962.
Sorry, I do not have other pictures at the present time.
Yes, I have been receiving the circulars for the past year on my work e-mail address which is pgittens@olhcc.edu. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Peter Gittens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Ladislao Kertesz"
To:
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 11:33 AM

Dear Peter,
Thank you for the photo.
Fond memories.
Are there more in that old card board box, or album.
What would be the story for the photo?
I hate to make up stories on photos, I might not get the feeling through.
Have you received the circulars?
God Bless
Ladislao

----------------------------------------------------------------------
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:43:36 -0500, "Peter Gittens" wrote:

Ladislao,
Greetings! Here is a photograph of Fr. Ildefonse.
Sincerely,
Peter Gittens
My home page is: http://members.cox.net/pgittens
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
John sorry that I take so long to include your stories in the Circular. When I retire I shall keep track of the emails I receive and send, promise.

From: "John Gioannetti"
Subject: Photography
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 12:09:03 -0400

Dear Ladislao,

After an absence of almost 20 years I recently got re-involved in two of my passions (Motorsport and Photography)

It happened quite by accident, 2 years ago I was in Curacao on my Honeymoon and I decided to buy a camera. New wifey was upset that I was buying a complicated thing-a-mig and wanted me to buy a point and shoot. So I snuck out of Honeymoon bed early one morning and went out to purchase a Minolta Dimage 7i.

Shortly after that, I met some people currently in Motorsport and I was telling them that after I had stopped racing, I used to do photography. The suggested that I come back, which I was reluctant to do because I knew that Autorsport to me is like Rum to a chronic alcoholic or marijuana to a space cadet.

But I went, and things have snowballed from there in the two years. 4 cameras and a lot of lenses and equipment.

I am getting a lot of work published in magazines and on the web. I also manage to sell some for advertising.

Unfortunately I am also getting a lot of work stolen. I recently picked up a Go-Kart Magazine from Jamaica to see 10 of my photographs in it. But that’s the nature of the beast.

Last time I was at Wallerfield (Motor racing Circuit), I was up in the bush at the top corner where I spend a lot of time alone. Well not alone, I usually have a stray dog, a few cobeaux and the odd vagrant for company. And I recalled when I was at Mount, the many Sundays I was stuck up there and I knew there was motor racing at Wallerfield, and while Mount was great for those of you that liked football, cricket and athletics, it was torture for me who only wanted to be in the 1st Boca Diving or at a race track.

While covering the power boat event a few months ago, I was told by officials that I was being put on Mr. Taylor’s boat.

I felt a bit odd going on a stranger’s boat and unlike motorsport I really don’t know the Powerboat people. Also as an avid sailor, we tend to have some not to nice thing to say about the powerboat people.

I was shocked and surprised when I was introduced to Mr. Taylor. It was Roger Taylor. I had not seen him in 30 years. He was one of the few people I used to lime with at Mount. We used to get up to some pretty neat pranks together. Usually finding ways to pay back the bully types. I recalled that we once bought some Carib beer, carefully opened the bottles. Drank ½, then filled them up with piss and resold them to other guys.

Roger now drinks bloody marys. Wonder what he substitutes in them……………..haha.

There is a pic of him and wife in the powerboat page

The only 2 people from Mount that I know are involved with motorsport are David Pampellone, who you are familiar with and a V Ramsing who was a day boy in our time.

Attached are some of the web links with work

The photos can be seen at: http://www.trinituner.com

(Please send in information on V Ramsing. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:

Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela

For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.

God Bless

Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Peter, Pope and Peter , http://www.trinituner.com/ for photos taken by John.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: