Saturday, June 04, 2005

Circular No 187



Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. Caracas, 4 June 2005. Circular No. 187
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

An email from a great guy.

Unfortunately!!! he retired from work happy Germany to contagious laziness of Spain.

I hope to hear from him someday again from the sunny Mediterranean shores.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: CJakobszen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:08:01 EST

Hello Ladislao,

First of all thanks a lot for having sent me various "Mount" circulars.

I've enjoyed reading every one of them and now I would like to participate more actively in the MSB circular mailing.

If you wish I can also send you in the near future a short rundown of my activities since I left Mount (1957) and since I left Caracas (1975).

I have had, of course, contact to various Mount boys during all these years, and as I had been flying over regularly to Caracas till the year 2000 (when my mother died).

I've had the luck to be able to meet personally many of my old and closest friends as Urbano de Fedak, Azier Atela , Isaias Farcheg, Ricardo Figuera, Roberto Lipavsky, Pedro Castro etc.

Now that I haven't been travelling to Venezuela for a couple of years this new communication method is in a way an excellent substitute to keep in touch with the old gang.

Besides that, now I'll have more time available for personal pleasures of this kind, first of all because my children have now become independent; my daughter Christine, 25 got married in June and my oldest son Gabor, 31 has set up his own company in Budapest and my youngest son Peter, 29 graduated from the University of Heidelberg.

Secondly, I'll be retiring at the end of May 2003 and right after we'll be moving to Spain, (next to Valencia) where we had bought an apartment some years ago.

I am closely following with anxiety the daily happenings of Venezuela and am very worried about what the future will bring.

Over here it's no cake walk either but nothing comparable to what you're having over there.

I would like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and please count on me for the future.

If you have any kind of "collective e-mail address list" of the Mount boys I'll be much obliged if you send it to me.

Un abrazo

Csaba

(Would like to hear from you again. Ed.)
---------------------------------------------------------------
From: CJakobszen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:00:11 EDT

Hi Ladislao,

First of all thanks a million for your constant and substantial flow of good calibre "MSB Information"

I appreciated it a lot and sorry that up to now I didn't have time to contribute to it.

As far as that goes, on one of the lists you have "Joel Blandin" RIP ???

Unfortunately I can confirm that.

Joel Blandin died in Poitier, France where he had been for a long time export manager of the chamber of commerce; at that time, I had been in close contact with him.

As far as I'm concerned I'll be going off-line as far as this e-mail is concerned on Tuesday, June 10, as we're moving for good to Spain.

As far as I get an e-mail connection I'll let you know.

Cheerio till then

Csaba
----------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Csaba Jakobszen"
Date: 10 Nov 05:27 (PST)
Subject: online again!

Hello Ladislao,

At last I'm online again!

As I had let you know some months ago it had been our intention to move to Spain for good and we'd bought an apartment in the vicinity of Valencia more than 6 years ago.

Now, thank God, we are finally here and enjoying fully the benefits of this subtropical climate which cannot be compared to the weather of central Europe.

I am actually in a kind of a "pre-retirement" stage and will retire officially in May 2004 when I'll be 65 years old.

Right now, my wife and I are pretty busy with all the changes we want to realise in the apartment, but in a month or two we should have most of these things done and then I¡¯ll have more time to engage in more frequent communication with you and the "Mount boys".

As far as personal achievements go, I can brag about the fact that in August I've also become grandfather as my daughter Christine bore a son!

Postal address: Apartado de Correos N¨¬ 122

E-46220 Picassent (Valencia)

Phone: +34 96 117 5109

Mobile +34 627898511 or +34 627024049

I'll be very grateful if you start sending me again all the circulars which you do so well and with which you contribute so much to help so many of us to re-establish contact with so many dear old friends.

Un abrazo

Csaba
------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 11:00 AM

Dear Ladislao,

I would like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in spite of all the adversities you are having locally at the time.

Thank you for your beautiful Christmas Card with music and all; I could open it without any problem.

Please keep up the good work with the Mount Boys' Circular which you are doing so well.

I'm sure that it has helped to re-establish many old friendships among the old MSB bunch.

As you published my message of late, Ian Cope, of whom I hadn't even heard since 1957, saw my address and we started corresponding: this is just great.

I'll also write Maroth de Marothy whose e-mail address I found in your Circular.

Un abrazo muy fuerte,

Csaba
---------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
Sent: Friday, January 9, 2004 8:58 AM

Hello Ladislao,

Sorry for the delay to answer you regarding this picture; I'm flying to Germany today to attend the baptism of my grandson.

As soon as I'm back (coming Wednesday) I'll send you the names (of the ones I know) appearing on the picture.

I know the names of most of the boarders.

As far as other pictures go, I have one of the Class of 1956.

I¡¯ll get it scanned and I'll send it to you in the coming weeks.

Wish you and your family a happy New Year and good health.

Un abrazo

Csaba

(Need the picture!! Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Csaba

I am glad that you have been able to correspond with your friends.

I would like you to help me with the class photo, please place names on the faces.

Also send me photos if you still keep any for the bunch.

How about the scouting days. Badges??

I hope we can keep on going thru 2004.

Have a prosperous and healthy new year.

God Bless

Ladislao

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Donald Goddard
Sent : Sunday, January 11, 2004 8:36 PM
To: "Csaba Jakobszen"

Csaba,

What actually happened was that just before I called, lightning hit next to my house and knocked out my computer cable modem.

I noticed that my emails would not go out and after checking I realized what had happened. It took me a couple of days to replace it.

Christian and I occasionally bombard Urbano, Manual and Peter with dirty jokes.

Manuel and Brian answer and sometimes send the ubiquitous anti-Chavez news.

Even though I copied Peter De Morvay here I believe that his Lasmo email address has changed since I haven't heard from him lately.

Every so often we hear from Urbano but he's always travelling and/or is too busy working so we don¡¯t hear from him as much as we would like to.

Fortunately, Ladislao keeps us updated with the Mount boy newsletter.

Un abrazo,

Donald

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
To: Donald Goddard
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 1:04 AM

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your call of the other day and your e-mail.

Must have been a hell of a sandstorm when you called as the e-mail you'd mentioned arrived 2 days later.

I¡¯ll answer you in more detail when I get back from Germany as I'm flying up to Frankfurt right now for 5 days to attend the baptism of my grandchild.

Just got an e-mail from Urbano; he is at the time in Caracas.

Un abrazo

Csaba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola Csaba:

First of all, I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2004.

I would like to apologize for my late reply, and today I'm finally getting around to answering my emails from over two weeks ago.

I'm glad that you sent me this e-mail because your last address didn't seem to be working.

We are all just fine here in Baton Rouge and decided to stay home for the holidays this year for the first time in five years.

We had been rotating between Miami where my daughter Daniela lives and Colorado where my wife's parents have a ski place.

We live at 120 Seyburn Dr., Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808.

My home phone is 225 766.2243 and my office phone at Louisiana State University where I work is (225) 578.4538.

I sure hope that during your visit to the USA next year you can stop by for a visit.

We have a small guest room for friends that visit us.

You are probably in contact with Brian and Christian, but just in case I've copied them here so that you'll be in touch with all of us.

After you've settled into your place in Valencia we may come to visit you.

I sure envy you since I would also love to retire in Spain.

However, for us most of Europe and in particular Spain is way too expensive.

For this reason, I occasionally play the lottery and the powerball to see I can win a few million $.

If this ever happens you'll surely have me as a neighbour the next day.

By the way, you just beat me by a few months since I will also be a grandfather in January or February since my oldest daughter will be having a boy.

Well, Csaba best wishes to all.

Un abrazo,

Donald

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Csaba Jakobszen
To: Goddard, Donald ; Goddard 2, Donald
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 12:06 PM

Hello Donald,

Have you received this e-mail of mine in November??

Please reply

Best regards

Csaba

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Donald,

First of all I wish to let you know that at long last I am online again.

We moved in June from Germany to Spain and since then we are fully enjoying this mild Mediterranean climate.

The move was naturally no cakewalk and we are still in the process of renewal, i.e. of adapting our apartment to our requirements.

This is no easy task here as you have to be chasing the electricians, the plumbers, etc etc and beg them to do something for you.

The reason for this is that at the time there is a construction-boom in Spain as they have never had before.

They are raising over 800.000 houses and apartments per year and the prices are skyrocketing (Thank God, we bought our apartment 7 years ago as we could hardly afford to buy something at the actual price level.)

Anyway, in a couple of weeks we should be finished with all this and then we can hopefully start to relax and to plan the trips we wish to undertake.

(Right now we couldn't undertake any trips anyway, as I am not officially retired as yet but am classified as unemployed in Germany until May 2004 when I'll be 65 years old and therefore I should be permanently in Germany.)

Next year, most probably in the late summer or in autumn we would like to make a big calibre USA - Canada trip to visit Nova Scotia, where I haven't been since I left Saint Mary's University in 1963, then Windsor (Ontario) and Detroit area where my cousins live and then most probably New York, North Carolina (to visit David Ames), Cleveland (Hungarian friends) and Houston (to visit Bill Groeschel whom you surely remember from PLC and with whom I've always been in touch.

He also visited us with his family in Germany) AND naturally I would also like to see you after all these years.

Please send me your phone numbers (home and office) as with the move to Spain a couple of things have been misplaced and I can't find the e-mail in which you'd sent them.

I hope you'll keep sending me all the corny and not corny jokes; I really enjoyed some of them very much and passed them on to other friends.

Un abrazo fuerte to you and your loved ones

Csaba

P.S. The big change with me is that since August 16, I am grandfather. Asi que mucho respeto !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK ANY U.S. BANK to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: By Bodington, file 0002d2, 0002d3. I am sure nobody remembers those numbered in the photos.
Not even those that are in the photos, like Farcheg, Lipavsky, De Marothy??? I have not had any communication from them for years. Please I need your certificate of wellbeing.
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com if you would like to be in the circular's mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use kaviacion@cantv.net or kertesz11@yahoo.com for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,

Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela's time is the same as Trinidad's, -04:00 GMT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wayne Brown's comment on the top photo is:
(8) is Jeff Gransaul (4) is David Pampallone. 1955-56