Saturday, November 26, 2005

Circular No 212




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 26 November 2005. Circular No. 212
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I have two good friends that have just cancelled their dues.
Meet Richard Driver and Edward Watson.
From Richard Driver:
Before giving you my “50” words, I would like to mention the article I read in The Vancouver Sun newspaper some weeks ago that states “Scientists have discovered you start losing your memory by age 10” With that in mind, I’ll see what I can do.
I was shipped off to Mount at the tender age of 9 in 1946.
I was one of the BG contingent that included Trevor Evelyn (the senior member) Neal & Alex Gonsalves, Osmond Gomes, Clive Bettencourt Gomes, Eric King & his brother??. Some of the others were the Schouls’, Ian, Steven, Conrad, Malcolm Boyack.
We “little” boys lived under the big “arm” of Fr. Lee Sing.
Can’t say he spared the rod as we found out just before bedtime in our pajamas.
He also played a good game of marbles.
In ’48 I left Mount and went to St Stanislaus College in BG, among my class mates was Keven Greene aka Fr Hildebrand in later years.
After leaving school in ’54, I went to live in Trinidad, where I came across many of the boys I had met at Mount, Arthur Knaggs, Peter Ganteaume, to name a couple.
Went back to BG in ’56 worked with RJ Shannon(NCR).
In 1967 I got married to Pauline DaSilva, and in 1973 we immigrated to Canada and made Richmond, British Columbia our home.
I continued to work with NCR until I retired in ’02.
We have 2 “kids” Catherine, who lives in Vancouver, & Mark who lives in Toronto.
In 2001 we finally had an empty house, or so we thought, but living in Beautiful BC, we have a constant stream of visitors.
My address is Richard Driver, 4311 Lancelot Drive, Richmond, BC V7C 4S4.
Phone No. is 604 277 5673, email is rdriver@telus.net.
Attached are two photographs, on of the Bell tower & roof of the church of the Benedictine Monastery in Misson, BC.
The other of our family taken in Sept. at our son’s wedding, R-L is Catherine, Mark, Mandy, ( our new daughter in law), Pauline & me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Richard"
Subject: Re: My 50 words
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:21:36 -0700

Hi Laszlo,
the names were in the body of my note, however, they are from right to left, our daughter Catherine, son Mark, his new wife (as of September) Mandy, my wife Pauline, and the "old timer" himself.
regards.
Richard
( I did not look at the print. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:43 PM

Dear Richard,
Your resume is going to be published in Circular No. 212, so there is ample time for reminiscence and look for memorabilia.
Also for you to send me the names of those in the photo.
Need another photo, maybe you and your hobby? or MSB photo.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Richard <rdriver@telus.net> wrote:

Hi Ladislao,
I really enjoy your bulletins, even though I can't put faces to most of the names, the names I remember.
Keep up the good work,
God Bless. Regards
Richard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: " Interpreters"
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 08:48:53 -0400

Dear Ladislao,
I am one of the guilty ones that have been enjoying the Circular but have not written, but a couple of words to tell you so.
I was so thrilled to get a picture of “ The Interpreters”
The original band with Johnny Abraham, Lead Guitar, Jeremy De Barry , Guitar, Gerard Anderson, Drums, Norman Smith “ Home made Bass Guitar” and myself Edward Watson played the bongo drums.
Che Che , Jeffery Camacho and Richard Anderson then came in some time soon after.
I remember some great sessions at Che Che house on Rapsey Street St Clair Port of Spain, don’t know how his parents put up with us.
I do run into “Bram” Johnny Abraham every now and again and I saw Jeffery Camacho, whom, I had not seen for years, a couple of months ago.
Lost touch with the rest of the crew, I heard Richard Anderson has a very successful landscaping business in Florida.
I also would like to make contact with the guys.
Please send out another photo of the band as the one I had was deleted in error.
My time at Mount was short but interesting and perhaps I might be remembered to you all as one of the Guys “ Frankie Ambard and myself” that went awol over the hills and were brought back( recaptured ) by Edward Lloyd, great friend.
What a thing.
Well just wanted to say, great job keeping all in touch and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and God’s great blessings to ALL
Edward Watson
Perfect Power Protection Ltd
19 Marli St
Port of Spain
Trinidad
868-628-5660 Office
(I am sorry but the photo of the “interpreters” is misplaced for the moment. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Edward Watson"
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:15:18 -0400

Hi Lazlo
I am afraid there was no graduation.
The Fr Bernard “ Bobo “ thought it was better for me to leave for good after I went over the hills a couple of times.
Not sure what I have in regards to memorabilia, I’ll look around and see what I can come up with.
I do however have, surprisingly enough quite fond memories of Mount.
One of the guys I remember we all looked up to when I was there was Enrique Castells, not too sure how to spell his name “ great athletic”.
Played music with the Band “The Interpreters” Johnny Abraham, Norman Smith, Gerard Anderson, Jeremy Dubarry
Edward
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: lazslo kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:45 PM
Dear Edward,
Thank you for the comment.
Yes there was a swimming hole in the valley (river) at the back of the tennis courts.
The road we took was the car road down to the main road, then north, about 300 meters.
Please send me a resume,
The form V graduation year.
Who was your class mates??
Do you have any memorabilia??
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Edward Watson wrote:

Hi Lazslo,
Never knew about this swimming hole.
I arrived I think in 1961
Thanks for the memories
Edward Watson
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Edward Watson"
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:29:19 -0400

Hi Laszlo,
I will get you contact info on Wabba although the Ian “Wabba” Milne I know is too young to belong to this class.
Yes he is an artist, I will forward the info some time today.
I am happy to get info on David as were friends and spent some time together in Australia in the early 70’s
Edward Watson 1961-64
868-628-5660
(please do not forget WABBA. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: 1/17/2005 11:01:42 AM

Hi Ladislao,
I enjoy receiving the news letter and the photos of the past students.
Many thanks
Edward Watson
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: Photos by R. Driver, A photo from Salvador
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salvador's names for the boys in the picture:

Hola Ladislao, La foto fue tomada en la piscina del Abbey school donde estaban los trampolines,
# 1 Frank Eduardo Ibarra sobrino de Doña Menca de Leoni, Caracas Ven,
#2 ? de Caracas Ven,
#3 Carlos Pazos Caracas Ven,
#4 Salvador Coscarart Cumana Ven ,
Atras de Salvador es Gustavo Achong Maracaibo ven y
#5 Juan Luis Silva, Maturin Ven.

SalvadorCoscarart.