Saturday, September 24, 2005

Circular No 203




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 24 of September 2005. Circular No. 203
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
In Circular No. 200 I let you know that I am going to make changes to the mailing of the Newsletter.
For those that would like to continue with the weekly ritual need to reply to the following parameters:
A) Do you want to continue to receive the Circulars?
B) Do you want to receive it with attachments (Photos)? This is because some have expressed concern that the attachments consume too much down load time for your local server.
C) Last and not all, either send your 50 words or check as per instructions at the end of the Circular. These words could be an account from your time at school, your critical review of the meals, teachers, etc. (This is a must).
D) For those that reply, I am sending the Circular with a new email address, to simplify the correspondence on my side. I hope that yahoo.com, is all right with you.
So back to emails; here is a compendium of emails from Cecil Ince
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Elizabeth Ince"
Subject: Re: Gordon Lang
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 21:29:29 -0400
Dear Ladislao:
I was at a wedding in Port of Spain late nineties held at Ellerslie Park - the bride was a LEOTADU, a cousin of my wifes.
I saw Alan speaking to some friends, walked over and introduced myself.
We were not in the same form 1948-49 - he is younger than I and was in a lower form.
I could see Alan did not remember me - nearly 50 years had passed - but it was good to see him.
The last address I have of JOHN GORDON LANG is Telephone 263-3545. FAX: 295-9375.
INVERSIONES LANG Y CIA, S. ENC.
CALLE 38 NO. 79-26
BARRIO MODELIA
BOGOTA 6 D.E. COLOMBIA.
Cheers
CECIL INCE
(No luck with our friend Gordon Lang, maybe someone can help. Ed.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Cecil & Liz Ince"
Date: 12 Apr 18:13 (PDT)
Dear Ladislao:
I realized, only afterwords, that one important name in my class was omitted.
JOHN GORDON LANG, very popular and very respected for his maturity and intellect. He was from Grenada.
We've seen each other twice since I came to live in Barbados - during his visits here to see his sister, Kathleen, who still lives here.
When we last met in the early 90's (July l992) - he lived and worked in COLOMBIA - CALLE 38 NO. 79-26 BARRIO MODELIA - (FAX 295-9375) BOGOTA 6. His company is/was 'INVERSIONE 5 LANG YCIA S. EN C.
CECIL INCE
(Dear Cecil, can you contact his sister?? Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: 9/3/2005 8:55:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Dear Ladislao,
I have not received and circulars for some time.
My e-mail address changed and I sent you the new ad ..... it seems that you did not receive it.
Here is the new ad: virginartware@tstt.net.tt
Thanks and keep up the good work.
I really miss not getting your monthly circular.
Best Regards
Michael D'Ornellas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here I am including the latest photos on Jerry Bain, who is in Canada and has a private web page.
"Hi... I'm Jerry Bain the past President of the TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO SPORTS AND CULTURAL CLUB OF CAMBRIDGE. That's my picture to the left. I was born and grew up in Diego Martin, Trinidad, West Indies. I immigrated to Canada in September, 1967. I now reside in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada with my wife and three kids. I love collecting VINTAGE CALYPSO and SOCA MUSIC with special emphasis on COMBO MUSIC. I have established this site for friends, family and those Trinbagonians who have established roots in Canada, other countries and of course good old T & T."
jerry.bain@sympatico.ca
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Jerry Bain"
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:21:53 -0500
Hi guys,
Well, what a lovely surprise to open my e mail and find a picture of myself in your archives ( Class of 1966, third on the right of Mr Tyrell, back row ).
I'm Jerry Bain, # 80 ( it would really be nice to know how many people remember their numbers ).
My fondest memory of the Mount, was trying not to get a green soft drink after school, that special toast bread we had at breakfast, a teacher we called "Toots", the Serrao brothers, ( Small World 1 & 2 ), remember " Box head" ?.
I think I had one of the best teachers of the time, Mr. Ernie Tyrell, you know, I can still sign his initials.
I also remember that mango tree that used to look like a Christmas tree at night from all the cigarette smokers in the tree.
And Joan who worked in the kitchen (smile), the "siphon" gang.
St. Francis short pants with a white long sleeve shirt, (collar had to be up, shirt open 3 buttons ).
I've been living in Canada for the last 30 years now, married to Debbie, 2 daughters and a son.
As a matter of fact, those interested can check out my web site, just enter " Trinidad and Tobago in Canada" ( preferably on Yahoo ) and there you'll get the rest of the story.
Anyone know the whereabouts of Herman Vercrissen #77 ( Aruba), Cornel De Freitas, David Narine, Leon Alves or Bobby Wharton ? Drop me a line if you're still out there guys.
Regards to all,
Jerry Bain.
(I was #172, in the laundry. Ed.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Pictures and Friends
'Education of a Trini'
It all started at Miss Smith's private School on Charles St. in Port of Spain at the tender age of four.
From then it was on to Miss Sylvester's in Diego Martin and then Mr. Roberts in Woodbrook.
Then I hit the big time, it was up to the Abbey School at Mt. St. Benedict with fellas like Robert Elias (Mighty Trini), Leon Alves, the Serrad Brothers (Small World 1 and 2) and the best track and field coach at the time, P.G. Wilson.
After four years at "The Prison on the Hill" as we called it, I was transferred to Fatima College to finish my schooling.
Now, that was memories, liming by Mr. Williams' Palour, fellas like Peter geofroy, Denis Niles, Garth Wills, Heyden Duprey (our goalie) and of course, that was the year we 'drafted' Everad Cummings to play "intercol" for us.
After completing three years at Fatima, I had to put in my "free labour" at the family owned business on Edward Street.
This is where I learnt what hard work is all about.
We had a great bunch of electricians there, Desmond St. Hill, Glen Loney to name a few.
Next door was Russ Archer Photo Studio.
Right across the road was Carl Baker, the tailor, and next door lived "the Taylors" who were bakers.... What a MIXED UP WORLD !
Anyway, the old man decided to send me off to Canada to study electronics, just about three months after becoming engaged (Surprise !!!) you could see that coming.
So it was two years at Radio College of Canada where I learnt how to repair televisions with tubes in it !
I'm still living in Canada now, still trying to figure what happened to all the tubes ?
'Special Memories'
The guys I used to race with at Wallerfield on Sundays... Pernell "Pee Wee" Welsh, Sidney Manhim, Silborn Clarke, Michael Munes, Ralph Thom, "Eggie" Gonzales to name a few. My liming buddies, Louis Hurdle, "Patches", Derick and Alan Viera, "Doodie" from Maracas. Ellingtonn "Jiggs" Griffith, Carlton Ahyee, Errol Rennie, Andre Penco. If any of you guys are still out there, DROP ME A LINE ! SPECIAL THANKS to my wife, Debbie, my two beautiful daughters, Alannah and Jenna and my son Jason.
I LOVE YOU ALL !
---------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: Jerry Bain, (for those that paid up their dues.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: