Saturday, December 10, 2005

Circular No 214




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 10 December 2005. Circular No. 214
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Here is some more good news and possibly a job lead in Australia.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Richard's 50 Words
Date: 10/20/2005 9:17:59 PM
Dear Ladislao,
I really enjoy getting the circulars and seeing the photos.
I also want to send you a cheque but still working on the best way to get it to you.
Here are my 50 words.
Sonny (Alan) Blanc has an old school photo of the early era that I have not seen on the website yet. (Alan please send me the photo, ed.)
I wonder if he could send it to you if he still has it.
Life is good to me.
Three of my boys and families live nearby and this year they have kept me busy as one is renovating his house and one building a new one. As I am interested in handyman's work they call one me often to help and do the running around during the day for them while they are working.
My eldest son, Philip, and family live in Karratha - about 1200 miles North and we see them two or three times a year. He is an operator in the gas plant for the North West Shelf project and they are very short of people at the moment - so if anyone is interested this is a good time to immigrate if they have the necessary skills!
Leary lives only a seven minute walk away from me and we see each other often. He keeps busy with a lot of church work and St. Vincent de Paul work.
We have 13 grandchildren and I do my fair share of babysitting. My wife is at University studying Theology so she also keeps busy.
Enjoyed the picture of Arthur Knaggs on his Barbados visit!
That's it.
Sincerely
Richard O'Connor
(Thank you for your 50 words, it covers the dues nicely. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: David
Date: 1/28/2005 4:04:47 AM
Here is David de Boehmler's email address:
I phoned him and we had a long chat on the phone.
Re: Scouts Arthur Knaggs was the first Queen Scout at Mt. St. Benedict and I was the second.
Regards.
Richard O'Connor
(From emails I received, you are the only ones in my list, the rest never got beyond tenderfoot, if I am mistaken please feel free to be included in the list. Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Subject: Trivia for your newsletter
Date: 11/25/2005 9:18:15 PM
Dear Ladislao,
Here is a bit of trivia re Mount St. Benedict!
In 1943/44 there were three American boys who came to Mount St. Benedict.
Their names were Thomas, Richard and Harry and they were known as Tom, Dick and Harry.
Their father was the Commanding Officer at the Wallerfield Airforce Base in Trinidad.
Because of the position of Mount St. Benedict, being at the top of a hill, it was almost impossible to get a good picture of the front facade of the college.
The boy's father filmed the college from a small training plane and those are the pictures you see today of the front of the College.
These three were the only American boys at the College at that time and because of their names, Tom, Dick and Harry I always remembered them.
When I was working in Venezuela in about 1956, I was sitting in a bar in Caracas and making conversation with the person sitting next to me.
He asked me where I was from and I said "Trinidad".
He mentioned that he had been to school in Trinidad and I asked him "Where"?
He said he had been to Mount St. Benedict.
Because of his American accent and appropriate age, I right away realized he had to be Tom, Dick or Harry.
It turned out he was Dick and he was then flying an executive jet for one of the oil companies.
Small world, isn't it? I don't remember their surnames or anything else about them, maybe someone else might?
Thanks for all your work with the newsletter; it is great to hear news of all especially those of my era!! Not too many of us left now!!
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy and Holy Christmas, Peace in your hearts and may the New Year bring us Peace in the World.
Sincerely,
Richard O'Connor
(It would be nice to know the last name of the kids. Ed.)
( can you help with mscott3@sbcglobal.net, it has been a while that his email is returned. Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
What!!!, you are not getting the attachments? Write me. Ed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here is the only letter that I have received from WAYNE O´CONNOR.
Hope he gets to Australia without a problem and let us know.
Date: 4/12/2005 12:07:54 PM
Dear Ladislao,
Glad to hear from you, I am now living in Mustique, and will be leaving sometime this year to live in Australia.
Sorry for not answering sooner, my computer was down for a very long time.
And to answer your question I was very good.
So you could say I was a champ (Butterfly) I do not know when I will reply again.
I am very busy.
Making lots of plans to move.
So take care.
Wayne O'Connor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:42 PM
Dear Wayne
Is it true that you were a swimming champ, Butterfly???.
I got the information second hand.
Please could you reply
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: 4/14/2005 7:55:12 PM
Yes, I won the Victor Ludorum one year.
I am not sure when it was--61or 62.
Regards,
Wayne.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Here is the result of a recent chat. (please feel free to open a chat with me, it counts for the 50 words dues.
Ladislao dice:
You sent me some photos long time ago, can you resend them with larger pixtel content, and each should have about 150 to 250kb
Ladislao dice:
I presume that it is saggy
Maurice dice:
I sent them at the limit of my scanner, an older model.
Ladislao dice:
Ok good, but cannot send them because the low resolution, to be able to identify faces.
Ladislao dice:
By the way, maybe I asked you before:
Ladislao dice:
Was there a Raymond, Noel, Roger family member???
Ladislao dice:
These are the only ones missing
Maurice dice:
I don't follow your Question
Ladislao dice:
Any recent family photo? Skiing???, throwing snow balls??
Ladislao dice:
The question is about the De Verteuils that went to the Mount.
Ladislao dice:
I have those mentioned without any information, maybe they never went to Mount and someone just included them in the list
Maurice dice:
Oh, the names aren't from my family
Ladislao dice:
Ok, thanks.
Ladislao dice:
Do you have a telephone number?
Maurice dice:
I might try to find some photos from my ski adventures, if you want to be exotic.
Maurice dice:
Phone 905 849 7104
Ladislao dice:
Well here we need some cool photos until rain comes.
Maurice dice:
LOL
Maurice dice:
I'll look into it.
Ladislao dice:
Ok, thank you for the chat
Maurice dice:
Bye
Ladislao dice:
bye
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUES, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK ANY U.S. BANK to my mailing address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Richard O’Connor, botanical gardens, Gymnastics at sports field,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments: