Saturday, May 21, 2005

Circular No 185




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 21 of May 2005. Circular No. 185
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
I just received a letter and an enclosed check that will be use as seed money to improve the mailings and create a file for the posterity.
So here is what Deacon Lionel Roberts wrote:
April 27, 2005
My dear Ladislao,
Greetings in Jesus name and thanks a million for all the wonderful informational work that all your circulars are doing and providing for all of us.
The “Mount” remains an unforgettable institution in the lives of all of us who were fortunate to be part of its history.
These few notes, handwritten instead of being typed in a computer convey a sense of brevity in order to send this off to you quickly.
So I do not intend to be lengthy here.
But I want to embrace this opportunity to enclose the attached little donation to assist you in you wonderful work.
It is my hope that it would emphasize several things, such as how much I appreciate your Circulars also my tardiness or inability to contribute many articles (I hope later on to do better in this regard) and my thanks for providing me with at least the e-mail of so many “old Boys” whom I intend to write when more time allows me to do so.
I have been in close touch with Dr. David Bratt and his family in Trinidad.
I also had he opportunity to meet with Mervyn Assam as well as Fr. Benedict and Bro. Rupert.
I can also in the process of purchasing a house in Trinidad where, God willing I hope to spend time.
Hoping to split my time between the U.S. and Trinidad.
I am also in close touch with Abbot John Perreira of the Mount, so busy as I am, I have not been completely out of the “Loop”.
That is all for now Ladislao and I ask our dear Lord to bless you and your family abundantly.
Your Lionel
(formerly Brother Vincent)
Now: Deacon Lionel V. Roberts.
Enclosed USD 75.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going to start with this issue to recall some of the old stories and write about the old boys here in Venezuela, those that although think that written words are mightier than a sword, of course.
The first in the list is Pablo Kecskemeti.
I had the pleasure to meet him again about four years ago, after a hiatus of 40 years.
He looked a little different since I left him at the Mount the 1960, just like all of us.
I am enclosing a photo of his class Venezuelan kids.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Caracas, 24 de Julio.
Estimado Pablo,
Gracias por la agradable estadía y la invitación en tu casa.
No te escribo en Húngaro por la falta de práctica.
Mis felicitaciones a Eva por la sabrosa comida que preparo.
Tu hija es “Super” como dicen los chamos.
Le he escrito a Hector, Alfredo, Csaba y a Rafael, vamos a ver como ira!.
Mañana scaneo las foto para mandarlo a Anthony Johnson.
Saludos
Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Pal Kecskemeti"
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 11:42:14 -0400
Dear Ladislao,
I just received your Invitation for the 8th. and remembered that I promised you something: We generally used to sing as we returned to Mount from any event or escape that we had from school.
The chorus I think was: When the saints are marching home + Glory glory alleluia I can’t remember if there was something else in between or if these were 2 different songs all together.
Mount Verses:
The bread at mount was mighty mighty fine, a slice fell off the table an it killed a friend of mine.
The chicken at mount was mighty mighty fine, a leg fell off the table and it started to mark in time (like in the parades)
The (refresco de Mount = tenia un nombre especifico ?)(EXCEL??) at mount was mighty mighty fine but it tasted like Turpentine.
There was something else that tasted like Iodine ???
Anyway I appreciate the invitation, but unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to attend, got to work, maybe an other time.
Don’t forget my pictures
Say Hi to everyone
Pál
(Can anyone complete the missing sentences? Ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pablo was very kind in receiving my daughter Viki and I at his home in 2001, we stayed one day on our way to Trinidad, by ferry.
On a later visit we got together with Hector Ahow and talked about the other old boys that lived about one hour drive East from us.
Unfortunately, none of these have email and although I have planned to meet them, no luck in these four years.
So back to the story, Pablo used to have a fishing boat and spent many weekends fishing.
Eva his wife runs a tight ship and their home is in a pent-house overlooking the bay of Puerto La Cruz.
They have two kids, a boy and a daughter. The son is studying in Caracas.
The daughter is living with them.
He is working for Polar Industries, beer and alike!.
Maybe Pablo would have a few line for us.
By the way his pet at home in an IGUANA and a river fish from the Orinoco river.
(It would be nice to include the names in the photograph, please help me. Ed)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CREATIVE PRINTING LTD.
Address: Lot 24A, O’Meara Industrial Estate, O’Meara Road, Arima, Trinidad
Tel.: (868) 646-2661, 646-2646, 646-2536, 646-0796
Fax: (868) 646-2647
E-mail:
datavis@tstt.net.tt

Contact: Mr. Richard Knox, Managing Director
Services: Printing
(This is all the information I have on Richard, maybe he can drop us a line? Ed.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: “Lifestyle Management Limited" < Lifestyle@tstt.net.tt
Subject: Class of '59
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 15:01:55 -0400 (Atlantic Standard Time)

Ladislao,
It was good to hear from you but I am still trying to put a face to the name.
I have a very vague image in my mind.
The photo you sent me is indeed part of the Class of 1959.
It was taken one week after graduation at the end of a retreat conducted by Fr. Peter Nicholson (#13) from St. Mary's College who, incidentally, now suffers from severe Alzheimer's Disease.
I remember this photo well and the exact spot where it was taken.
I will identify by number and list the missing classmates:-
#1 - PAMPELLONE: Gerard
#2 - LAQUIS: George Dr.
#3 - JOHNSON: Bernard
#4 - HERRERA: Michael
#5 - ?
#6 - DE VERTEUIL: Alex
#7 - JOHNSON: Claude
#8 - CHARLES: Donald Dr.
#9 - SERRETTE: Owen
Missing from the photo are Dr. David Ames, Richard Galt, Randall Galt which brings the total to 12 pupils.
God Bless
George (Pud)
(We are missing you emails, hope you are well. Ed.)
(This photo is available at the website)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK preferably from any U.S. Bank, to my address:
Ladislao Kertesz
Apartado 69072
Caracas 1062A Venezuela
For those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues per year.
God Bless
Ladislao
Photo: Class foto venezuelas, iguana, daughter with iguana
Look us up at http://www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site.
Look at www.paxabbey.com, for information on the Monastery, Mt St. Benedict.
For those that want to communicate with the web, use, webmaster@theabbeyschool.com,.
Send information to: Ladislaokertesz@hotmail.com, if you would like to be in the circular’s mailing list or any old boy that you would like to include. Telf. 0 (212) 263.5346 Caracas.
Use kaviacion@cantv.net, or kertesz11@yahoo.com, for photos as I leave enough storage space for these.
Please note: you may have missed some of the circulars, if you have not received one every week, do not hesitate to ask for the missing number to idmitch@anguillanet.com,
For those that would like to contact me here I include my telephones:
Telf.Office: 58 (212) 263.5346, 267.2416, From: 11:00GMT to 22:00GMT
FAX: 58 (212) 261.0829,
Home: 58 (212) 238.4084. From: 00:00 GMT to 04:00 GMT
Cellphone: +58 (0416) 612.5695
Remember that Venezuela’s time is the same as Trinidad’s, -04:00 GMT.
__________________________________________________

No comments: