Saturday, February 12, 2005

Circular No 171




Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 12 of February 2005. Circular No. 171
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Here is another surprise for those that knew him, the last missing member of Class 1960, as taken from the class photo.

I am glad that Nigel helped me to track him down.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Date: 1/20/2005 2:22:52 PM
Hi Nigel,
What a WONDERFUL surprise to hear from you.
Our re-contact (after SO many years) was a beautiful and exciting event.
Thanks a lot to Ladislao.
As promised, I am copying Ladislao with this email.
We have to meet in person soon.
Patrick Baichoo, Principal Broker/President
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Ladislao,
I have been receiving your email and bulletins for some time now, but for one (lousy) reason or the other, I did not reply to you.
Please accept my apologies.
However, I will be in contact on a one-to-one basis from now on.
Patrick Baichoo,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Season's Greetings
Date: 1/2/2005 5:44:19 PM
Hello Ladislao,
The missing circulars all arrived safely up to No 160, for which many thanks.
Maggie and I are back in Anguilla now since October.
I have retired as a judge and am serving as the first Chairman of the Public Service Integrity Commission of Anguilla.
My other two Board members are a retired Permanent Secretary and a Baptist pastor.
We exist under a statute of the House of Assembly.
Anguilla is such a small place that many people have two or even three jobs.
A customs officer might work at a bar in the evenings and at weekends in the family store to earn extra money to pay for the house mortgage, the bill of sale on the car, the vacation cruise to Alaska, and the college fees for the second child in New York.
Having a second job is not such a problem.
But, sometimes there are complaints and allegations that there is something corrupt about it.
That is what our Board is to look into.
We begin our work seriously early in this New Year.
Our plans include workshops and seminars on conflict of interest issues and the development of a Code of Ethics for the Civil Service.
It is such a relief to be back home.
It was no fun living out of a suitcase for the past 5 years.
The job of being a judge is not difficult, although there were some occasional challenges.
I am proud to boast that I have now served in all 9 of the territories and states of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court: Grenada, St Vincent, St Lucia, Dominica, Montserrat, Antigua, St Kitts & Nevis, Anguilla, and the BVI.
Some of them I saw for only a week, others I was able to explore over months and years.
It was an honour and an opportunity that is not given to many lawyers.
But, now Maggie and I are concentrating on enjoying ourselves, relaxing, and taking up new exercises like walking and gardening.
Keep well and all the best to you, the children and your wife for 2005.
Don
PS: I no longer use the Antigua email "candw.ag" address.
I only use the "anguillanet" email address.
So, please delete the Antigua one from your address book.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Now a small detour and let me write a few lines on memorabilia from my times 1955-1960.
In this Circular I am including my Terminal Report of December 1955, and I hope no one had a better one!!!.
Also I am including the Receipts for that period; maybe this would satisfy those that wanted to know the cost of tuition at the most expensive school of the island.
The Receipt consisted of three pieces of paper, so here they are.
In those days the USD was 4.00 Bolivars to the USD and 2.00 Bolivars to the TT dollar.
So doing calculus, Fr. Paul would have been proud, the TT Dollar was 2.00 to the USD.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:16:31 -0800 (PST)
From: "Stuart Monplaisir"
Ladislao,
I have sent all the circulars that I had to Don and I received confirmation from him that they all transmitted correctly.
Out of the ones he requested I did not have numbers 72-83 and number 98.
Maybe you or someone else has them.
Stu
( Can anyone please help out with the missing issues!!! Ed.)
-----------------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER TO PAY YOUR DUE, 50 WORDS PER YEAR, OR SEND A CHECK ANY U.S. Bank, for those that prefer this way to cooperate with the Circular and the expense that this generates. It is 52 issues.
God Bless
Ladislao
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos: Terminal report, Receipts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: